As a property owner or manager, you’ve got a lot on your plate. From maintaining curb appeal and value to keeping your property presentable and safe, every detail matters. One detail that often gets overlooked is asphalt maintenance. But why should maintenance be a priority? And more importantly, how do you decide which services you need or when it’s time to seek out expert help?
This is where Ace Paving steps in. Our knowledgeable team is here to take the stress out of pavement maintenance. We provide expert guidance on how and when to take action to ensure the strength and durability of your paved surfaces.
The Importance of Asphalt Maintenance
Asphalt maintenance might not be the first thing on your mind, but it’s an essential aspect of property management. A well-maintained pavement doesn’t just contribute to a great first impression; it also ensures the safety of those who use it.
Over time, asphalt surfaces can develop cracks, potholes, and other forms of damage due to various factors such as deteriorating sub base under the asphalt, weather conditions, usage, and natural wear and tear. Left unattended, these damages can escalate, leading to costly repairs and even potential liability issues.
While there are upfront costs associated with procedures like patching, milling, and resurfacing, these measures can significantly extend the lifespan of your pavement. By addressing minor damages early, you can prevent them from escalating into major issues that require costly repairs or complete pavement replacement.
Recognizing the Signs: When Should You Consider Maintenance?
Recognizing the signs of wear and tear can save you time, money, and prevent further damage. Here are some signs that you might need to consider milling and resurfacing or patching and repair on your asphalt surfaces:
- Alligator cracking: Large, interconnected cracks that extend into the lower layers of your asphalt can indicate serious damage and structural issues.
- Potholes: If your driveway or parking lot has developed potholes, it’s not just an eyesore — it’s a safety hazard too.
- Drainage Issues: If water regularly pools on the surface of your asphalt after rain, this could indicate an issue with drainage, which can lead to water damage and compromise the integrity of your pavement.
Milling and Resurfacing vs. Patching and Repair: The Key Differences
Two of the most popular methods of asphalt upkeep are milling and resurfacing and patching and repair. While both techniques are effective for preserving paved surfaces, they serve different purposes and dependent on the condition of the asphalt.
Milling and resurfacing involves removing an entire asphalt structure or only a layer of asphalt, grinding it down to ensure a smooth surface, and then applying a new layer of asphalt. It’s a comprehensive solution that addresses underlying issues and provides a fresh, durable surface that can last for years to come.
Patching and repair, on the other hand, focuses on specific areas where damage has occurred. This could be cracks, potholes, or other forms of wear and tear. The damaged area is removed and replaced with new asphalt. It’s a fix that addresses isolated problem areas but may not always address potential underlying issues.
The most important factor in determining which method of repair or replacement is best for your situation is determining the condition of the underlying sub base beneath the damaged surface. Ultimately, the longevity of any method is dependent on your foundation, and some foundational damage may require a full-depth reclamation in order to rectify it.
Given the potential consequences and costs of incorrectly maintaining your asphalt, it’s best to leave this assessment to experienced professionals.
Choosing the Best Option for Asphalt Maintenance
When deciding between milling and resurfacing or patching and repair, here are some questions to consider:
- What is the extent of the damage? If it’s localized to specific areas, patching might suffice. But if the damage is widespread, including cracking or multiple potholes, milling and resurfacing might be more appropriate.
- What is your budget? Patching is generally less expensive in the short term, but if your surface requires frequent patches, resurfacing could be a more cost-effective long-term solution.
- What is the age of your pavement? Older pavement may benefit from a complete resurface to address any potential unseen issues and extend its lifespan.
- What maintenance has your pavement already undergone? If your pavement has already had several overlays or repairs, there comes a time when the surface cannot handle more layers without causing further damage as a result of the surface height. In this instance, you may need to have your surface milled and resurfaced.
When considering which maintenance option to go with, some of the most important factors to consider are cost-efficiency and durability:
Milling and Resurfacing
- Cost-Efficiency: More expensive than patching, but less expensive than a full-depth reclamation or replacement.
- Durability: Milled and resurfaced asphalt can last for 10 years or more, extending your surface’s overall lifespan and avoiding costly full replacements.
Patching and Repair
- Cost-Efficiency: Easy and least expensive short-term solution, but will likely require more frequent repairs.
- Durability: Temporarily fixes minor damage, such as potholes, cracking, and uneven surfaces. Depending on the flow of traffic, this solution may only last several years and will eventually require further repair to avoid damaging the asphalt further.
Leaning on Ace Paving’s Expertise
At Ace Paving, we understand that these decisions can be complex. That’s why our experienced team is ready to assess your specific needs, lot conditions, location, and usage to help you make an informed decision. We believe in establishing partnerships with our clients, ensuring that you receive the best solution for your unique situation.
Whether it’s milling and resurfacing or patching and repair, Ace Paving has the knowledge, tools, and experience to deliver high-quality results. We invite you to reach out to us and let us guide you in maintaining the integrity and appearance of your commercial spaces. With Ace Paving, you’re not just getting asphalt maintenance — you’re getting a partner committed to getting the job done the right way, the first time.
Remember, regular care and maintenance of your roadways and lot surfaces is an investment in the longevity and safety of your property. So, don’t hesitate to contact us today to discuss your paving needs.